Dequetteville Terrace

How it got its name.

The State Library of South Australia provided this information:

The name appears as “Dequeteville” on a plan of the subdivision of Kent Town lodged in the General Registry Office (no. 226 of 1854) by the subdividers, Henry Ayers and James Robin. The latter was born in Guernsey, Channel Isles in 1817 and his mother was a daughter of Rev John de Quetteville, the first Wesleyan Minister in the Channel Isles.


The Christian and Methodist Journal, 10 August 1894, page 4a (copy in Mortlock Library),

Observer, 28 July 1894, page 30b,

Chronicle, 11 August 1894, page 8a.

An obituary of Mrs James Robin is in the Observer, 10 August 1907, page 40c.

A proposal by the Norwood Council to alter its name is debated in the Register, 5, 13, 17 and 18 June 1867, pages 2e, 3b, 3d and 3f, 7 and 22 August 1867, pages 2h and 2h.

The control of the terrace is discussed in the Register, 1 August 1877, page 7f.

The opening of a fountain is reported in the Observer, 1 December 1877, page 12f.

See The Kent Town Triangle – Kent Town Residents Association (

Also see Place Names – Kent Town.

Davenport, Hundred of – Dequetteville Terrace

Two very early photos of Dequetteville Ter looking towards where the Brewery Apartments now are located. The photos have been sourcef from the SA State Library and we thank them for their contribution. Internet chat hints that the picture on the right could have been taken around 1958.

Britannia intersection

The intersection of Fullarton Road, Dequetteville Terrace, Kensington Road and Wakefield Road continues to be known locally as Britannia Intersection.

Britannia Intersection is a well-known eastern suburbs landmark and an important entry and exit point to the City of Adelaide.

In 1883, horse drawn trams travelled from Dequetteville Terrace to Kensington Road. Horse drawn trams were replaced by electric trams in 1911. The tram tracks were removed and the tram replaced by trolley buses in 1952.

In 1954, temporary traffic islands were established using sandbags and 44-gallon drums. These were removed in 1955 and replaced with the first fixed traffic islands.

In 1981, the traffic islands were replaced with a large irregular shaped roundabout increasing the lengths available for lane changing within the roundabout.

Bus lanes were added on Dequetteville Terrace and Fullarton Road. Modifications to the roundabout continued to be made over the next 20 years to improve driver safety.

In 2013, the intersection was transformed to create two roundabouts to improve safety for road users by decreasing speeds through the intersection and providing more time and space for vehicles to move through the intersection.

The upgrade of Britannia Intersection was opened by the Hon. Tom Koutsantonis, MP. Minister for Transport and Infrastructure on Tuesday 10 December 2013.

Some early pictures of the Britannia Intersection.